My doctor checks my breasts once a year and I get a mammogram, do I still need to do a self breast exam?
Yes, all adult women are encouraged to do self breast examinations once a month.
John Hopkins Medical Center states:
Forty percent of diagnosed breast cancers are detected by women who feel a lump, so establishing a regular breast self-exam is very important.
If you are unsure how to do a self exam read this article and look at the diagrams.
Ask our healthcare professionals at Family Medicine Center, we are more than happy to teach you.
Self breast examination reminders
Are you busy? Do you keep forgetting to do a self breast examination?
Try one of these memory joggers:
- Set a specific date in the month and write in on your calendar
- Set a phone or computer reminder
- Buddy up with a friend or family member and remind one another
- Use sticky notes in your bathroom
- Engage your partner in helping you to remember your exam
- Try an app for your iPhone or android